View Single Post
Old October 31 2012, 11:33 PM   #102
Christopher
Writer

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion in cash and stock.

Dream wrote: View Post
At this point, I think Star Wars will never again be on television outside of animation shows like Clone Wars.

You know how the saying goes...

Why pay to see a movie when you can watch the show at home for free?
I don't think the evidence bears that out. Six of the Star Trek movies came out during a period when there were Star Trek television shows on the air, and several of those movies were quite successful. The first X-Files movie came out during the show's run and did reasonably well. Going back a ways, the 1966 Batman movie, released between the first two seasons of the associated show, did moderately well in theaters.

Not to mention that presumably a Star Wars TV series would focus on different characters and storylines than the movies, so they wouldn't be equivalent.

On another subject, given how many SW-related threads there suddenly are now and how many there will be over the years to come, I wonder how long it'll be before the TrekBBS reestablishes a separate Star Wars subforum within Science Fiction & Fantasy.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote