View Single Post
Old October 30 2012, 07:22 PM   #164
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: 15 Reasons JJ "Ruined & Destroyed" Star Trek

mos6507 wrote: View Post
I personally find those who say "it made a lot of money, get over it" to be more annoying than someone who makes what I feel to be a thoughtful (albet emotional) dissertation of why a movie sucks.

If you want to defend a movie, please try to use some other criteria besides box office receipts. We all know plenty of good movies fail at the box office and plenty of bad movies make money. It's boring to use the "it made money" excuse.
If the argument consists of "it made a lot of money, get over it" and nothing more, then yes, it's pretty weak and likely to be annoying when presented. Granted.

However...

mos6507 wrote: View Post
I would argue that the demographic that liked JJ Trek is probably the least capable of defending the movie based on its intrinsic merits and most likely to reach for the "it made a lot of money" excuse.
Do you really believe that unqualified statements about "the demographic that liked JJ Trek" are in some way superior to or more satisfying than the "it made a pile of money" ones? Which demographic would that be? (Feel free to cite evidence in support of your position.*)

(* ...but please, please, please: don't bring the "Young ADD people like JJ-Trek; older, more sensible and mature people prefer Real Trek™" canard - that one's lame and never did work.)
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote