View Single Post
Old October 30 2012, 01:46 PM   #34
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: Stanley Kubrick marathon

Harvey wrote: View Post
McDowell, not Kubrick, deserves recognition for choosing "Singin' in the Rain," though. He was asked to improvise something on set; he chose that song because he knew the lyrics. Kubrick made the call and ensured they had the rights cleared.
I read about that after I posted my review. Kubrick told Malcolm McDowell to improvise because he thought the rape scene was "too stiff."

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
I love both 2001 and A Clockwork Orange and don't really have much to add. The ambition of 2001 continues to impresses me; the attempt to convey something utterly alien, timeless and outside human experience was, I think, very well realized.
I definitely agree that Kubrick managed to create something truly alien, which we rarely see, for that alone he deserves praise. Like I tried to say, the experience of the film is its greatest highlight.

Harvey wrote: View Post
The ending of A Clockwork Orange isn't changed, exactly. Kubrick was working from an edition of the book that had the final chapter censored for some reason. I haven't read the book, but I have read summaries of that final chapter, and it strikes me as a cop out.
It was censored because the U.S. publishers wanted a happy ending and Burgess relented. While Burgess had some issues with Kubrick's film, he doesn't fault Kubrick for the ending because he understood why Kubrick did it. That being said, Kubrick discovered the omission near the completion of his screenplay and decided he didn't like it.

At some point, I want to read the book (along with a plethora of other books) to see how well it relates to film and whether the final chapter works for me or not (but I have a feeling it won't).

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote