View Single Post
Old October 29 2012, 08:18 AM   #10
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: TNG: Immortal Coil by Jeffrey Lang Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Newspaper Taxi wrote: View Post
I remember feeling that the plot felt like it was a long series of random dramatic revelations that didn't really lead anywhere. It was a long time ago, though, so take my words with a grain of salt.
I absolutely loved "Immortal Coil" and, after "Nemesis" introduced the B-4, I even wrote to Jeffrey Lang and asked if he was considering a sequel to include him. By then, Marco had left Pocket and Jeffrey said that Marco had been his only point of contact with the publisher.

"Immortal Coil" did attract a lot of negativity from TNG-only fans when they realized that many characters referred to were from episodes of TOS (and even a namedrop from "The Questor Tapes") and were demanding that the book required extensive footnotes or a dramatis personae, but I really felt - and still feel - that such information is not a requirement for enjoyment of the story, and would perhaps scare off readers from sampling it. The call-backs to TOS - cameo mentions of every android and AI featured in the series - are a delight to those in the know, but not crucial to this excellent whodunnit.

Dr Juliana Tainer and the three unnamed Data/Lore prototypes she mentioned in "Inheritance" are also featured.

I love a whodunnit where I don't guess whodunnit until the author decides to reveal all. For Data fans, this book is a wonderful celebration of the character!

Sho wrote: View Post
one that many of us are revisiting right now - with The Persistence of Memory en route - or will be revisiting in the future.
Woohoo!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote