View Single Post
Old October 29 2012, 02:25 AM   #201
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Any old timers still around?

cultCRUSH! wrote: View Post
Fantastic! I'll have to learn that song for the next time I'm at karaoke. (With one particular lyrical change, of course... )

ZR de los Muertos wrote: View Post
TorontoTrekker wrote: View Post
I've been TorontoTrekker since I first joined. It's pretty descriptive of me, although the convention I volunteer for, which used to be called Toronto Trek, changed its name to Polaris in 2007.

If I were to change my name, the only other name I use online is a nickname that was given to me by a bartender at the place I used to hang out at, when I was telling him about how I was working on three conventions and trying to get a fourth one started. He said, "Your problem is, you're the boy who can't say 'no'." That's how I acquired the Livejournal handle "boywhocantsayno", and I use it in a few other places as well. I enjoy letting people misinterpret its meaning.

(Though I probably shouldn't use it on dating websites... )
Name changes aside, it wouldn't be you without that iconic avatar of yours.
D'awwww. I've never had the word "iconic" associated with me before.

In fact, I find that some of the most memorable users here are those with the same old avatars, never (or rarely) changing over time and therefore becoming inextricably but reassuringly linked to that person, to the extent that I can't picture the posts of that person without their avatar by their side. It even works in reverse in some cases, where I associate the image as depicted in the avatar with the user on the TrekBBS.
I remember, a few years ago, I was asked to participate in an April Fools' Day avatar swap. I got at least one PM from someone who had been temporarily confused until they spotted my avatar being used by someone else.

But I know what you mean. There are a few people whose avatars I've gotten used to seeing over the years, and which bring a smile to my face when I see them. Especially when the poster hasn't been around as much as they used to be.
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote