View Single Post
Old October 29 2012, 12:48 AM   #55
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Re: Sacrifice of the Angels Ending A Deus Ex Machina?

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
While I do enjoy the theme SFDebris brought up about the Founders being false gods and the Prophets being the true gods. There is something diminishing about the Federations victory because it's basically "Fuck the Dominion we have GOD on our side".
I disagree, the Federation still had to fight hard to win the battle (and ultimately the War). The Prophets only acted within their own sphere (the Celestial Temple).

If they had reached out into the regular universe and started destroying Dominion left, right, and center, then THAT would have diminished the Federation victory.
I was referring to the battle and victory in 'Sacrifice of the Angels', not the final conclusion in 'What you Leave Behind'. Had the 2,800 ships come through the wormhole that would've ended the Dominion conflict a lot sooner with a Dominion victory.

Dream wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
While I do enjoy the theme SFDebris brought up about the Founders being false gods and the Prophets being the true gods. There is something diminishing about the Federations victory because it's basically "Fuck the Dominion we have GOD on our side".
They weren't gods, they were wormhole aliens.
I posted this earlier but here it is again. By Sisko's admission during his conversation with the Prophets, the Prophets had sent the Bajorans, Orbs, Emissarys, and "encouraged" the Bajorans to create a religion based around the Prophets.

1. Encouraging a race of people to worship you and create a religion about you.
2. Creating supernatural artifacts. The 10 Orbs and sending them to the people who worship you
3. Anointing average people to be your Emissary's

Most 'gods' in fiction have similar foundations as the Prophets do. What comes to mind at present is the goddess Hylia from The Legend Of Zelda, and the Judeo-Christian-Muslim god.

I would say that the Prophets don't have creationist powers but in a way they did genesis Sisko in to existence out of the necessity that Benjamin Sisko NEEDED to exist for their purposes.

If there is any other criteria that you think disqualifies the Prophets from being classified as gods Dream I would like to hear your rebuttal.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote