View Single Post
Old October 26 2012, 08:23 PM   #38
The Overlord
Captain

Re: The Borg in JJverse

Ti-BOO!-rius wrote: View Post
The Overlord wrote: View Post

How so? You admit it yourself, the Borg were "one unifed entity." Why is that mystique lost by any amount if that entity decides to control a physical body as a puppet?
Because it gives the Borg a leader and the Borg more scary and alien without a leader. There is no leader, no one Borg has more authority then another, having a Queen undoes all that. Introducing the Queen was the start of Borg's villain decay. Instead of hailing a Borg Cube and having a wall of Borg drones shouting at you, Janeway would often just be talking with the Queen on a view screen, which made the Borg seem like every other alien race out there.
If my model of the Collective is correct, then the Queen is not a leader. Are you the leader of your brain cells? No, you ARE your brain cells, you are formed from the interaction of all of them. They are not separate to you, so you can't be a leader. If you are their leader, then they must be the follower, which requires them to be separate to you. And this obviously isn't the case.

I see it as the Queen representing the conscious mind of the Collective, with the lots-o-voices being the subconscious mind.
No one brain cell has authority over others. There are no special brain cells that have more power then others. That's what the Queen comes off as. Your analogy doesn't work, the entire Borg Colletcive represents a physical body, the same way my brain is made up of brain cells that control my body. So the Borg "Queen does represent a brain cell that has authority over other brain cells, the Borg Collective itself would represent a human body that is controlled by individual brain cells, not the Queen.That is why your analogy just doesn't work.

The thing is the Borg Queen doesn't come off as the way you describe her, there several times where the Borg Drones are doing something and she orders them to stop it, like when the drones attacked Data in FC and the Borg Queen orders them to stop it. If the Borg Queen is just a physical representation of the collective mind, she should not need to order drones around.

Frankly the Borg collective mind is far more of a scary prospect, when it has no physical personification, it is more abstract concept, not something you see.

Frankly you really haven't come with something that makes the Queen necessary from a story telling stand point, what makes her an interesting villain, what does she add to the Borg as villains, rather then take away. All you have done is argued that it could be possible for the Borg to have a Queen, not she adds to Borg and how she is interesting in of herself.

Frankly I think she takes away more then she adds and I liked the Borg a lot better without a Queen.

She's written as a spoiled brat, actually, which, when you think about it, is exactly what she is. An emotionally stunted little girl who wants everything her way right now. And as soon as she gets it, she doesn't care about anything else.
That's not a scary villain, having that character as the representation of the Borg makes them far less scary. Heck most of the best Borg stories, like Q Who, Scorpion, Best of Both Worlds, don't even feature her, so I don't see why she is needed.

Last edited by The Overlord; October 27 2012 at 12:19 AM.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote