View Single Post
Old October 25 2012, 06:44 PM   #113
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Re: Is TOS the best sci-fi TV American series until 1985?

Mr. Spook wrote: View Post
"Ancient technology disrupts the lives and mission of future space explorers" is a simplification of Forbidden Planet itself. It's the Maguffin that sparks the main plot of that movie, not the plot itself. If Trek did an episode about "a scientists id terrorizes space explorers while he sleeps" every few weeks, I'd agree. Ancient techology is the hook you're hanging these plots on, and Trek dipped into that well often, but they also loved doing stories about "out of control AI" and "snooty godlike aliens." What matters is what they did with these concepts. Remaking the central plot of Forbidden Planet is not one of the routes they took.
Maybe, but even just using the same Maguffin over and over leads one to question the series' suppposed creativity. even the guy who invented the word "maguffin" didn't use the same one constantly.

The second year, yes. The first year, no. It was very different from Trek that year. Consciously so.
Like hell. Turn the moonbase into a starship and what you have is Trek done by the Andersons, both years.

Not much, at least not for the purposes of this discussion.
To someone who actually knows the difference between a carrier and a battleship, saying there's not much of difference between the two is like saying there's no significant difference between a tank and an airplane.

That's subjective. I find Trek to be overall more fun than Twilight Zone. A bad Star Trek still gives me entertainment. A bad Twilight Zone is just bad.
The Twilight Zone is remembered primarily for the classic episodes, which are indeed classic. However, it also had a HUGE number of flops. For every Invaders or Odyssey of Flight 33, you have a Mighty Casey, or Come Wander with Me, or From Agnes with Love, or What's in the Box. It well deserves its reputation, but people are very happy to forget the (as Serling himself called them) "turkeys." Star Trek deserves the same consideration, but doesn't often get it. Give me Spock's Brain over Mr. Dingle the Strong any day of the week and twice on Sundays.But, again, it's subjective. I prefer adventure sci-fi. TZ was not that. Apples and oranges, really.
First, the question in the first post could only generate subjective answers without a poll that included all science fiction TV shows from the year the first one premiered until the year 1985. Since the OP didn't feel like including one, every respondent had to go with personal opinion. I didn't expect everyone to agree with mine, especially not on a Trek board.

Second, since this is a Trek board, I'm sure you'll find plenty of people here willing to overlook trek's clankers. I just don't happen to be one of them, cause I think a show with creators that talk up the fact that it inspired real-life scientists ought to be held to higher standards than one - Twilight Zone - whose creator and principle writer said it was strictly for entertaintment purposes.

Finally, Mister Dingle the Strong is funny and entertaining and is led by a terrific actor, whose main contribution is not flopping around in a mini-dress going "Brain and brain, what is brain?!"

And Red Delicious apples are tastier than oranges...

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote