View Single Post
Old October 25 2012, 01:24 AM   #496
Christopher
Writer

Re: VOY: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoilers!)

JD wrote: View Post
I don't understand people being upset about Janeway's resurrection, there was a pretty blantant set up for her return in the end of Before Dishonor. Now, I'll admit, I would have preferred to see her stay dead, but the door was pretty clearly left open for her to return.
People keep misinterpreting that. Yes, there was a door left open a crack, but that wasn't because her return was intended from the start. The intention at the time was that she was dead for good, but the studio insisted that a bit of wiggle room be included just in case. It's the same as with B-4 having Data's memories. That wasn't there because Data was expected to come back, it was just a fallback position just in case. Since the contributors to a shared universe like ST can't control what later storytellers may decide to do, or how circumstances might change in the future, it's common to leave that kind of wiggle room for major changes -- not because the storytellers intend or expect the changes to be reversed, but just as a contingency in case something happens later to change things.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote