View Single Post
Old October 24 2012, 10:04 AM   #5336
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

DarkRishton wrote: View Post
We've seen Clark on TV before, so this isn't much different. I never quite bought Clark as a TV anchor, largely because it would seem impossible for him to always make the daily broadcasts given his other job. Similarly, I think he'll miss the big scoops if he's running a Drudge style site: "Sorry, Bruce, can you handle Doomsday on your own for a few minutes while I upload a blog post on that Senator's affair with an underage Thangarian?"

When I heard that they were rebooting the DCU back when, I said that I couldn't take any attempt at modernizing Superman seriously unless they dumped the reporter angle. That in this day and age Clark Kent would be blogging, not be a reporter. So this is a good step in the right direction. Look, there is a specific reason that Clark Kent is a newspaper reporter and that reason is quickly going the way of the dinosaur. And frankly it's laughable that they haven't had the balls to understand this, and understand just how little today's younger readers give a shit about newspapers.

Want Clark Kent to look even more stale and out of date? Keep him at the Daily Planet for nostalgia's sake.

Want him to look contemporary? Then you're going to have to take a good look out the window, and see how things are done in 2012. It's time to ditch the horse and buggy and get an automobile. Most people get their news off the internet, not from newspapers. So I hope DC has figured this out and doesn't go back.

As for "missing the big scoops"....he's Superman, I don't think he'll be missing those. And the time it takes to blog about it, for Superman, is less time than it took you to read this sentence.

So I say good move DC, this is what it's going to take to modernize the Man Of Steel.