View Single Post
Old October 24 2012, 07:10 AM   #68
JD
Admiral

Re: Typhon Pact: Should I keep going?

Sci wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
I just don't see how a novel about Geordi is somehow not a "legitimate" TNG novel just because it doesn't fit into someone else's idea about what a TNG novel ought to be about.
By that logic, every Titan novel is a TNG novel as well.
Well, when the U.S.S. Challenger gets its own series, I'll buy the idea that it's not a TNG novel. But Geordi is its main character, and he hasn't been spun off into any other series. So I rather think the title is right: The Next Generation: Indistinguishable from Magic.
Doesn't it also feature Guinan, Ogawa, Rasmussen, Bok, and Sela in fairly major roles? I haven't read it yet myself, but I remember a lot of talk about them when it came out, and they are all TNG characters.

I've never understood when people are mad that books set after the series don't have the TV casts in them. They have to know going in that as long as the book is after the finale it's going to follow on where that left off and introduce new characters to replace those who left.
If you want to read a story about the show cast go pick up an old book set during the show.
As for people who are tired of the Typhon Pact getting so much attention. I think it makes sense that a lot of the big events going on in the current 24th Century stories would involve the TP, they are the first major rival the UFP has had since the Dominion. Complaining about the TP getting a lot of attention in the post-Destiny Trek novels is like complaining about Russia getting a lot of attention in Cold War novels.