View Single Post
Old October 24 2012, 01:06 AM   #45
Arpy
Rear Admiral

Re: Power of the Federation

When the Klingons were less meat-headed I thought of them as on par with the Federation but ultimately a little weaker. Especially when you brought in the scientists.

The Romulans, by the 24th century, seemed to be a third superpower themselves but still less powerful than the Klingons.

The Cardassians at first were problematic but ultimately nonthreatening - the Galor Class Trager Macet commanded was dealt with easily enough. Later they seemed to be up there under the Romulans, but overall I see them as a nation the Federation would beat but at considerable cost - unlike the Klingons who they'd also beat but at a devastating cost.

Both the Romulans and the Klingons have the benefit of being much older nations which I think explains how they're still competitive with the Federation - they've had more time to conquer and invent. The Klingons also have the benefit of alien tech early on via the Hur'q. Still, given the UFP is already ahead of them, I see the gap only widening the further ahead in the future you go. Cooperation, science, and altruism are more efficient and competitive than force, threat, and anger.

Last edited by Arpy; October 24 2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: replaced is with are
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote