View Single Post
Old October 23 2012, 11:36 PM   #1113
Agent Richard07
Retired

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
114. Tomorrow Never Dies (B)
They should have called it "Tomorrow Never Lies".

291. Surrogates (✩✩✩✩) - Live TV - The world has become a place where everyone stays at home, hooked up to a device that allows them to live and interact through artificial bodies called surrogates. The advantage of this is that you can look any way you want and even live without concern for injury since artifical bodies can be replaced. Everything seems to be going fine until two surrogates are destroyed, killing their owners in the process, something that shouldn't happen. This prompts two cops to investigate. Stars Bruce Willis, Radha Mitchell, Rosamund Pike, James Cromwell and Ving Rhames. This is a solid piece of scifi as much as it is an action thriller and the movie's commentary on wanting to be young and look perfect is delivered well. The only hicup is Willis' character's sudden change of heart after 14 years of happily using a surrogate himself. It's also fun to watch the characters and wonder what their real selves look like.

292. Cabin Fever (✩) - Live TV - A bunch of teens rent out a cabin for the week and a flesh-eating disease stars consuming them. Pure crap and no notable stars. I managed to sit through it though, so that gets it a star.

293. Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever (✩✩) - Live TV - As bad as the first one, but it had some racy bits that I liked, so that gets it an extra star.

294. The Groomsmen (✩✩✩½) - DVD - Another one of Edward Burns' slice-of-life movies about relationships. This one deals with five buddies and their lives. The fact that one of them is about to get married is peripheral to the real story but provides a title. It's a good movie that starts slow, but gets and hold your attention before long. You also get to see Brittany Murphy three years before she passed away. Another thing I found interesting about the movie was the setting. It took place in what looked like a new England coastal community, but then I found out that it was shot in and took place in New York City. City island in the northern part of The Bronx to be exact. I never knew that parts of New York City looked like that.

295. Exotica (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - Atom Egoyan's 1994 movie about a bunch of seemingly random people who's lives either become or are shown to be interconnected in interesting ways. "Exotica" is the name of the Toronto strip club that a lot of the drama is centered around. Stars Bruce Greenwood, Mia Kirshner, Don McKellar, Elias Koteas, Sarah Polley and Victor Garber. Like a lot of Egoyan's movies, this one makes little sense and isn't always easy to follow, but I'm giving it a generous score because I enjoyed the ensemble cast and loved seeing some of Mia Kirshner's early work. This was also the first time I thought that Kirshner might have made a great Catwoman.

Theatre: 18
DVD/Blu-ray: 110
Live TV: 118
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 40
Internet: 4
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote