View Single Post
Old October 23 2012, 10:18 PM   #1026
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
]
True, and I hope they don't blow this new found flexibility on Hamilton or Grienke.
I will be stunned if they don't make a serious run at Hamilton. (Assuming, of course, that I'm wrong about Henry & Co. getting ready to cash out, and I'm not sure that I am.)

You keep acting like Cherington has acted like a moron for his first year as GM.
He traded a guy who, despite not being very good, could have brought back actual baseball players, instead of a guy who doesn't actually play the game. Beyond that, he traded for a manager who seemed to make a number of weird but subtle choices with the Toronto media that caused at least some unnecessary seething inside the organization, and also seemed to have an equally awkward relationship with both young players and veterans, and his strategic choices were somewhere between below average and average.

I mean, I can only think of a few things that would be more humiliating to be traded for than a manager:

1. A box of baseballs
2. A beer vendor with a signature call
3. A treasure map with a rhyming scheme
4. Barbecue sunflower seeds
5. A Zamboni
6. Yuniesky Betancourt

And even that Zamboni might have more value if the owner happens to hold a hockey team as well as a baseball team.

The Youkilis trade was beyond stupid, and I already mentioned how silly it is to be putting all their eggs in the Jose Iglesias basket; he's going to need to luck out into becoming a BABIP god to be of any value at the plate.

We haven't gotten to see what kind of team he would build because he was so stuck with the contracts Theo left when he high tailed to Chicago. He was forced to work within the confines he was allowed. Now however, its all on him. He has everything lined up how he wanted it, with an open checkbook. If he screws up now, he has no one else to blame, but lets see if he does.
The only genuinely bad contract that Cherington dealt with was Crawford's, and that deal was Henry's all the way. Adrian Gonzalez is still a world-class talent, and the only reason his contract was dumped was because that was the price the Dodgers demanded in exchange for taking on the mammoth contract of a guy who may already be done (and even that is hilarious, because the Dodgers' owners came out after the trade and said that they don't care about how much money they spend).

The 2013 Red Sox will not be build in FA, cause as stated, it sucks. I could see them chasing one of the other starters on the market, such as a Haren on a short term, high money deal. I feel they're going to rebuild using trades, and wait for it...waiting for some of their younger players do develop. For the first time in a few years, there is a group of guys developing who could be next wave or prospects to make a major impact, like Papelbon, Lester, Buchholz, Pedroia and Ellsbury did between 2004-07.
If they were genuinely intending to rebuild, they'd be trading guys like Lester and Pedroia, instead of trading for a manager who will appease them.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote