View Single Post
Old October 23 2012, 04:34 AM   #5333
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I hardly had any books this past week so I went back and got Sword of Sorcery #1&2 and as a back-to-back read enjoyed that as much as I had hoped. Looks to be an interesting type of fantasy world they have set up.

I've never read the original 80's material or any follow up so this was my first solid intro to the characters and the environments. I may not have gone for the "main line" of heroes in this nu52 but I feel I did utilize the spirit of it by trying 85% characters new to me.

In the back up Beowulf, is that a character we should know or have a clue to? Obviously they wanted us to see that the "Iron Trolls" were stamped with WayneTech. This is an apocalyptic scenario where society has essentially had a reversal it seems, back to the 14th century type lifestyle.

Between some titles being cancelled and me trimming back on others overall I've enjoyed my nu52. I'm only just getting some of the TPB's now for the first superhero books though.
14th? Try the 5th Century.

Beowulf is character in story found in an manuscript that dates to somewhere between the 8th and 11th Century. The story is probably older than that. It's thought of as one of the earliest example of "English" literature.

Beowulf starred in a DC comic back in the 1970s. The book was an attempt to get in on the Sword and Sorcery genre made popular by Marvel's Conan. He later appeared in Wonder Woman's book in 2008 along side DC's other 70's S&S characters, Stalker and Claw.The current version seems to be a post-apocalyptic SF take on the character/legend