View Single Post
Old October 22 2012, 10:41 PM   #84
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: Is TOS the best sci-fi TV American series until 1985?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post

To each their own, I guess, but I confess that my mind boggles at the idea that the old BSG is the "best" anything.

Never saw the appeal, even back in the eighties.

Maybe this is a generational thing?
It probably is. Speaking for myself, as a member of the original audience of BSG:TOS (okay, I was only eight in 1978, but still...), I can honestly say I don't see what the younger folks see in Ron Moore's overrated, pompus remake.
Hah! That's not the generation gap I was thinking of! I was in college when the old BSG debuted and thought it suffered in comparison to the shows I grew up on, like TOS. Maybe you need to be exposed to old BSG at the right age. By the time it debuted in 1978, I was already too old for it. To my oh-so-sophisticated freshman self, BSG was kid's stuff.

But, for the record, it's not just "the younger folks" who prefer the new BSG. I'm an old coot who found the reboot much more dramatic and engrossing than the seventies version . . . .
It's nigh impossible to compare a nework series from the late '70s shown at 8PM on a Sunday night to a recent cable series that lastest for four seasons. But without some support from fans and very quality of what they put out you wouldn't have had the new series.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote