View Single Post
Old October 22 2012, 08:38 PM   #1088
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

As we get closer to the Hobbit I find my enthusiasm at an all-time low. I loved the first trilogy and I should be psyched to see this. But--

Well it just feels like it's more of the same. I remember when the studio released the first official still from Fellowship.. even simple shots of Gandalf and that would be it, they filled me with a kind of awe, that it was going to be a serious, gritty, and epic approach to a fantasy film. I wasn't disappointed (at least as far as the first film went) but now I know what to expect, and, as far as capturing the feeling of an epic fantasy, I can get that now by popping in my FOTR Blue-ray. In particular, the beginning of that film leaves some hints and warm feelings about the events of the Hobbit. Sure the Hobbit is a tgreat story, but I'm not sure why I can't get worked up over the adaptaiton. It might be because it's three films.. taking away the simplistic, whimsical and cildlike nature of the story. Also, it makes me sad that despite the increased frame rate and the 3-D I feel sad because this is still all been-there done-that territory for Jackson and that he's not challenging himself. With LOTR he was amkign an exquisite film where but the train never stopped and he was barely able to set the track in front of him as he left. But he really wanted it, the same way Lucas worked over time on Episode 4. Now they gave him a blank check and he's off!
Plus you know the Hobbit may be a good story but as far as it goes the film is still a prequel. Prequels, sequels and reboots are all that's out there. It's starting to become annoying that they'd spend - what over $300 million on a prequel trilogy...?