Old October 22 2012, 06:35 PM   #86
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

larryman wrote: View Post
Psion wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Actually, that's just someone doing a sketch of a generic ring warp drive attached to an Enterprise-ish ship. Grom reading the article I don't think they intended it to be based off of the NASA research.

Ring based warp drives are a lot older in fiction than NASA's research. Heck, some of Matt Jefferies original sketchs for the TOS Enterprise had rings.

Sorry, Sojourner, I'm not laughing at you ... I'm hugely amused that this discussion wound up here!

Larryman, that was the beginning of a speculative project that started on these boards in the Trek Art forum. I invite you to look over the discussion here. It's another on top of a huge pile of unfinished projects I keep meaning to get back to.
LOL... that's a funny occurrence. I got the link to that page from another board, which did not give background details.

I just browsed the thread link you provided. Don't see any mentions of the Enterprise physically exceeding the ring's field, as I mentioned. Refer to 1st image posted in this thread. The warp field is 'tight' to the leading and trailing ends of the warp ring. No length (in direction of ring movement) to accommodate the 'lengthy' Enterprise.
Well, in fairness to the intent, it was based on the "ringship" concept by Matt Jefferies as used for a Roddenberry pilot that never went anywhere and ultimately got re-used as set dressing for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, not on a paper that hadn't yet been published. If we're going to judge it by scientific concepts that didn't exist at the time, then I'll double-down and insist that this design relies on a longitudinally-asymmetrical warp field that will be discussed in a paper to be published in 2021.

Of course, you make a good point about trying to design to current scientific understanding. In this case, a longer ring to include the primary hull might work. Or two rings -- one ahead of the ship and one behind. But those sound like they'd lack grace. If we're already speculating about the mere existence of an FTL starship, why not borrow ideas from current science and extrapolate to something futuristic that serves the needs of the story and looks nice?