View Single Post
Old October 22 2012, 05:56 AM   #35
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: Finally have time to start watching nuWho!

Well though the thread has been long dormant, progress has not... just watched "The Eleventh Hour", having gotten through Tigger and on to the spastic housecat.

Here are some impressions from the Tenth Doctor's reign:

"Rise of the Cybermen"/"The Age of Steel"
Interesting to see the parallel universe idea make it into the Whoverse, and as an old Pink Floyd fan it's always great to see Battersea. Mickey's decision to stay made sense and gave his character more depth than it seemed he'd get back when we first met him.

"The Idiot's Lantern"
The face-stealing was an odd combination of silly and creepy, but not much to see here.

"The Impossible Planet"/"The Satan Pit"
Interesting but I thought there'd be more repercussions down the line [unless they're forthcoming]... the rescue of Ida was cool.

"Love & Monsters"
An odd mix... in the end it's just another monster-of-the-week episode, but the video-diary stuff and the LINDA bunch are diverting - and the general idea of the Doctor seeping into the edges of popular consciousness is a great one.

"Army of Ghosts"/"Doomsday"
The easy acceptance of the "ghosts" by everyone at face value was silly, but the rest was pretty cool. Cybermen plus Daleks equals fun lol. And though I knew Rose was leaving [and they'd meet again] it was still sniffle time.

"The Runaway Bride"
Our first taste of Donna... I guess one of the advantages of being on the other side of the pond is that while I knew of Catherine Tate I'd never really watched her show and thus had no preconceptions. I think Donna was more fun than a barrel full of monkeys, though this was another monster episode too in the end beyond setting up Donna.

"Smith and Jones"
Nice to see a companion who is educated as well as smart... Martha was one of the best things about this era imho. The transporting the hospital to the Moon looked pretty good and was a neat if somewhat silly idea.

"The Shakespeare Code"
Another monster[s] episode enlived by the presence of the Bard, though they may have gone over the edge with the suggesting-his-own-lines-to-him bit. His hitting on Martha was classic.

"Daleks in Manhattan"/"Evolution of the Daleks"
Back to the arc, as it were... the community of vagrants was a little too pie-in-the-sky, but it's always interesting to see the show do America. The crossing of Dalek and human is an unsettling and cool idea, and having Rose be part of the setup for it was a nice touch. The two parts also give us more background about just what happened at the end of the last Time War, which is unfurled at a maddeningly-deliberate pace that I grudgingly admit turned out to be effective lol.

That's good for now, I'll post more tomorrow. I'm looking to be caught up and watching live by the Christmas special!

Last edited by Klaus; October 22 2012 at 12:28 PM.
Klaus is online now   Reply With Quote