View Single Post
Old October 22 2012, 12:24 AM   #547
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Re: TOS Enterprise WIP

Disclaimer, I typed this while Bob was typing his post above, so it may not all be relevant now since he's already addressed some of the issues.

I'd even go further: TMoST was the only reference for FJ (notice how he copied the wrongly cut phaser type 2 from TMoST for the TM). There were many episodes where we saw the actual rank stripes of commodores but FJ obviously didn't or just didn't care about accuracy.
Well, FWIW he did have slides and plastic models, in addition to reruns of the show itself.

As for the phaser, it was definitely his biggest mistake in the tech manual.
As for rank stripes, I seem to recall an interview where his daughter said he was trying to make the higher rank designation more self-consistent with the lower rank progression, so yes, he apparently didn't care?

Fact: The Making states that saucer separation from the engineering hull was planned as a regular event. Therefore the saucer hull and the engineering hull are two separate identities. The Making states that the saucer has eleven decks and the engineering hull has 16. It states nowhere that the numbering of the saucer continues deck level-wise in the neck section of the engineering hull.
What do you mean by "regular event"? It certainly wasn't "routine detachable" like the TNG. I assume you mean "standard emergency procedure"?

As for the deck numbering, neither is it stated in TMoST that the numbering of the saucer doesn't continue in the neck section of the engineering hull, just because the engineering hull acts as a lifeboat in emergency saucer sep. is no reason to label the decks differently IMHO.

Had Franz Joseph noted down some facts while occasionally watching a Star Trek episode with his daughter (he was no fan of Star Trek and preferred "Lost in Space") he might have noticed that early on in the show there are large spaces on decks 12 and 14 and that these couldn't possibly be in the neck section of the engineering hull.
What makes you think he didn't notice, and just chalked up the deck references to a production mistake, since they disagree with other repeated references in the show as well as TMoST, which taking the show as a whole, is ultimately what it is -a mistake.

Fact: The Making had a blueprint of the complete soundstage (Season Two and Three version). No matter how little FJ watched Star Trek, he had to know this was the essence of what should reflect in his blueprints. Still he decided to ignore this all together and come up with deck plans that do not reflect what we have seen to be aboard the Enterprise (with the exception of the bridge). Had he actually watched some episodes, he would have noticed that there is no photon torpedo launcher in the teardrop bow on the upper side.
Well, regarding the blueprint of the soundstage, if you look at his deck seven deck plan you'll see he did not "ignore it all together " but did indeed "reflect the essence" of the soundstage blueprint in his layout, it being essentially an "exploded" or expanded view of the soundstage blueprint, he just spread everything out and filled in the areas between with other facilities.

As for there being no photon torpedo launcher in the teardrop bow, my response is, how would he know this from watching the show? But more to the point, how do you know? What we do know however, from both TMoST and the animated series is that there is a phaser bank there, and since we're freely interpreting here, I choose to see the phasers and photon torpedoes in TOS as essentially the same device, with just minor resetting, (proximity blast phasers, anyone) this solves a multitude of discrepancies.

Sorry, I'd guess that 85% of the average fans have knowledge about Star Trek and the Enterprise that is far superior to any knowledge FJ ever had and therefore the status of reference on his behalf is totally misplaced. I just revisited all the stuff he placed behind the sensor dish in the engineering hull (where does the sensor antenna connect to? A swimming pool?!?!?).
Well, considering that we have access to resources and recording technology that he didn't have, it's not surprising that we have more knowledge than he did.

As for the stuff behind the sensor dish, I agree. This is FJ's biggest error of judgment, and my biggest issue with his "Booklet of General Plans', there should have been some sensor/deflector machinery back there, as Jefferies hinted at in his cross section in TMoST.

Last edited by TIN_MAN; October 22 2012 at 03:27 AM.
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote