View Single Post
Old October 21 2012, 10:38 PM   #293
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: Aykroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra

Reverend wrote: View Post
It's by no means a *bad* film in it's own right though. I'm seen much worse comedies and much much MUCH worse sequels.
Ghostbusters II isn't necessarily bad, it's just ... aggressively mediocre, and it never really transcends its material. It's essentially a beat-for-beat remake of the original film with some different faces, and ultimately ends up feeling like the money-driven cash-in that it is.

That's why I'd much rather see a remake / reboot than another sequel. I'm incredibly excited by everything I've seen / heard about Jose Padilha's upcoming remake of RoboCop (the original being one of my favorite films), because it sounds like they're really doing something interesting with the property and taking it in some new directions, as opposed to just repeating the beats of the original. A Ghostbusters III that trots out four fat guys in their 60s as a cursory nostalgia bone to the fans ... the idea really doesn't do anything for me, and I think it runs a very big risk of becoming unintentional self-parody.

Twenty years ago, I could have seen there being grounds for one last adventure with the guys, because Ramis and Aykroyd hadn't completely lost the plot by then, and Ramis and Murray were still on speaking terms. But then Groundhog Day happened, and ... welp.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote