View Single Post
Old October 21 2012, 09:38 PM   #544
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Re: TOS Enterprise WIP

^^ Plus, in this particular example regarding decks 12 or 14, I would hardly characterize it as "idiotic" for fans of FJ to accept his take as consistent with cann, since it is. Deck 5 is given as the location of Kirks quarters in at least 2 -maybe three- episodes and this is consistent with TMoST which, by the way, also numbers the decks in such a way as to put decks 12 or 14 in the neck, and was -as pointed out above -FJ's primary source!

And as you (Bob) pointed out yourself, decks 12 or 14 cannot fit in the neck, so either these deck references -or the visual cues, make canon inconsistent with itself here regarding the location of Kirk’s quarters, so I don't think it's to much of a stretch to choose to go with the deck 5 location as the correct one and regard the other reference as a mistake, which it is.

That being said, I realize the Thermionic approach can be fun and challenging and I would certainly never characterize it as “Idiotic”, but some of the mental contortions people go to in order to rationalize some of this stuff is no less so than anything FJ came up with. Not everyone is a Canonista or a Thermion, but whether one is or not, it’s all good, we’re all geeks here and at the end of the day it’s all fiction anyway.
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote