View Single Post
Old October 21 2012, 10:45 AM   #1104
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

^ I saw that last year and thought it was an excellent little scifi piece.

286. The Ides of March (✩✩✩✩½) - Blu-ray - A campaign manager stick handles his way through the machinations of the political system as he works to get a govornor elected to the presidency. Stars Ryan Gosling and directed by George Clooney. It also has an impressive supporting cast that includes Clooney, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Paul Giamatti, Marissa Tomei, Jeffrey Wright, Gregory Itzin and Evan Rachel Wood. It was adapted from a play called Farragut North. It's writer based the story and its characters on his own experiences with a recent political campaign. The movie was raw, very gripping, pretty cynical, and I liked the turns and developments. It also looked like George Clooney, who plays the candidate, infused a bit of his own politics into the movie through his character.

287. The Last Unicorn (✩✩✩✩) - Blu-ray - I don't review movies in this thread that I've already seen, but I'm reviewing this one because I don't think I really saw it the first time when it was shown at my school in the early 80s as part of movie day. So here we go... I really saw it this time and did so with fresh new eyes. This is an animated movie about a lone unicorn that sets out to find others of her kind that were driven away by the Red Bull. I remember the Red Bull being pretty scary as well as a bit at the end, but not much else. The bull wasn't as scary this time around, but the movie itself is pretty good. It had what I thought were some good insights into the spiritual side of life. I was also surprised at the mild nudity with an emphasis on bosoms. I'm just surprised that a kids movie could get away with showing such content. Anyway, as far as animated movies go, this is one of the better ones.

288. Daybreakers (✩✩✩✩) - Live TV - Most of the human race has turned into vampires and the blood supply is running out. Stars Ethan Hawke and Sam Neill. It was a pretty solid movie with a decent commentary on the pharmaceutical industry.

289. From Dusk Till Dawn (✩✩✩✩½) - Live TV - Finally saw this. It never looked very good to me, so I wasn't in any rush to see it. Well, I loved it. I like how it's a movie in two parts. Part one is pretty grounded with two criminals on the run with a family held hostage, but then it goes all wacky when it shifts gears and turns into a vampire slasher horror movie. I also loved the Tarantino-style B-movie/70s exploitation schlock. It really added a sense of fun to the action. And here's one of my favorite parts...

George Clooney pretty much says it all.

290. Post Grad (✩✩✩½) - Live TV - An ambitious college grad finds her perfect plans dashed when she doesn't get her dream job and can't find work. Stars Alexis Bledel and Michael Keaton. Bledel was a joy to watch and Michael Keaton was a real hoot. This was the funniest I've seen him.

Theatre: 18
DVD/Blu-ray: 108
Live TV: 115
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 40
Internet: 4
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote