View Single Post
Old October 21 2012, 04:06 AM   #1102
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

113. King Kong (1933) (A)

This was the second feature at the Screening Room's weekly "Birth of Horror" series, which I didn't actually get to see, because the Queen's Law Journal annoyingly scheduled an overlapping work session. But I rented it anyway, to watch on a considerably smaller screen, and having seen it I regret not getting a chance to see it theatres. Every appearance by the titular giant ape is captivating -- I can imagine what it would have been like to see this onscreen in 1933, and while effects have obviously advanced enormously since then, the knowledge of how much work this would have been means that the scenes keep their "wow" factor in a way many other films with dated special effects don't. The characters are mostly forgettable, but whatever, this is a rare film that I found very enjoyable to watch despite how almost every scene has been referenced, parodied, and copied ad infinitum.

Seeing this also means I've now seen at least one film from every year from 1930 to the present.

Cinema: 31
Home Video: 69
Computer: 13 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote