View Single Post
Old October 21 2012, 03:03 AM   #1101
Lord Garth
Captain

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

Movies seen in 2012 for the first time: not a lot.

A Crack in the Earth (1964) -- *** (a solid pre-Star Wars science-fiction film)
AEon Flux (2005) -- *** (great commentary on the decay caused by constant recycling, substitute people for franchises and you'll see the film was ahead of its time)
Barbarella (1968) - N/A (so bad it's good... so I can't bring myself to call it one-star even though I should)
The Andromeda Strain (1971) -- **1/2 (I don't care if Robert Wise directed it, it's over-rated)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - ** (don't argue, let's just agree to disagree)
Mr. Deeds (2002) - **1/2 (better than I expected because I usually can't stand Adam Sandler)
Prometheus (2012) -- **** (a much more ambitious concept than the Alien series, and I'm a bigger Alien fan than Star Trek)
Take Me Home (2011) -- ***1/2 (a good romantic comedy and road movie rolled into one)
The Transatlantic Tunnel (1935) -- **1/2 (not bad per se, but a little plodding)
When Do We Eat? (2005) -- *** (not recommended for the more conservative-minded)

I use a four-star scale. Yeah, this has been more of a TV year for me.

I don't remember if I saw AEon Flux the beginning of this year, or the end of last, but I'll throw it in anyway.

Soon I'll be adding Argo, Skyfall, and A Cabin in the Woods to the list.

One more thing: I got to see Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home in a theater this past summer. I'd only ever seen it on VHS or DVD. TFF was the first Star Trek film I saw in the theater. It didn't convert me. I didn't become a fan, in fact, until I saw TVH on video when my parents bought it around the beginning of 1991. We only had a VCR for six months at that point.

Last edited by Lord Garth; October 21 2012 at 03:24 AM.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote