View Single Post
Old October 20 2012, 08:41 PM   #57
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Is TOS the best sci-fi TV American series until 1985?

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Trek TOS has stories like "The City On The Edge Of Forever," Twilight Zone has stories like "It's A Good Life" - and they only have to ring that bell a couple of times before all of modern Trek, Straczynski, etc. are out of competition notwithstanding the fact that I might know that in week 5 of season three of B5 I was going to get pretty much the same thing I got in week 4.
Fair enough. I think you're undervaluing a good portion of the more contemporary shows you mention, but I'm smart enough to know I'm not going to change your mind there.

In any event, it's hard to argue over the quality of episodes like "City on the Edge of Forever" and "It's a Good Life." As far as The Twilight Zone goes, I think there are episodes that are even better, but that only speaks to the incredible quality of that series.

On Star Trek, though, I find myself agreeing with Rod Serling. For every week that the series "rung that bell" as you put it ("The Trouble with Tribbles," "Balance of Terror") there seemed to be a corresponding week that was absolutely dire ("The Alternative Factor," "Spock's Brain").

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote