View Single Post
Old October 20 2012, 05:43 AM   #21
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor
Re: Stanley Kubrick marathon

With Lolita, Kubrick enters the realm of controversy which doesn't shy from for the remainder of his career. That being said, Kubrick restrained himself in regards to the sexual nature between Humpert and Lolita because the ratings system didn't exist yet and censorship limited Kubrick's directing. Certainly if Lolita was filmed later in his career (and certainly around the time of A Clockwork Orange) the film would have featured a more sexually implicit relationship instead of just hints and double entendres.

While I thoroughly enjoy the performances of James Mason, Sue Lyon, Shelley Winters, and especially Peter Sellers (foreshadowing his multi-role performance in Kubrick's next film), the film itself doesn't quite grab me. I don't blame the controversial nature of the material or even Kubrick's restrained directing, both times that I've watched this film I find myself waiting for something to happen (an issue that I have in my single viewing of Barry Lyndon and I wonder if my opinion will change when I rewatch it). Tragically, I think the highlight of the film for me is the in media res opening that's brilliant performed by Mason and Sellers.

Next up: One of my favorite films of all time, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote