View Single Post
Old October 19 2012, 08:42 PM   #274
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: Aykroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Another problem I see (whether it's a reboot or sequel) is that those glowing ectoplamic ghosts of the 80s just aren't remotely scary or frightening anymore.

What really needs to happen (and I know it won't), is for the Ghostbusters to go up against the freaky, Ring-style ghosts and creepy, wall-crawling creatures of today's horror movies. That would be fun as hell to watch, and much more in the spirit of the original movie than what they're probably planning to make.

If we're not as freaked out by the ghosts are the Ghostbusters are, then the movie's just not going to work.

The ghosts in Ghostbusters were NEVER meant to be scary. They were supposed to be creepy/funny. There is a reason why Slimer ended up being the freaking mascot...kids loved him.
Exactly. The original Ghostbusters is a comedy before it's anything else, with "love letter to New York City" being a very distant second. I think people sometimes forget that there are precisely two "ghost busting" sequences -- the Hotel Sedgewick, and the end at Central Park West. It isn't a sci-fi action romp, much as Aykroyd originally envisioned it as such.

I mean, think about it. The creature that is going to bring about the end of the world manifests itself as a gigantic fucking marshmallow man, and his entrance is shot like a Godzilla movie. Or, as I said a few months ago:

Ecto-1 is sleek, just uses blue lights, very plain bodywork and looks much more like an emergency vehicle. It works as a believable prop, but, more importantly, it's a brilliant punchline. Ghostbusters does a good job of delivering you something ridiculous and then being all "deal with it" about it. See also: The Stay-Puft reveal. Reitman's direction is so happy to stand back and laugh at what it's just shown you, which is one of the things that makes the film so much fun to watch, really.

Ecto-1A is about twenty feet taller, has these garish purple and green lights, scrolling digital message boards, hazard tape decals all over the bodywork, as well as that ridiculously meta logo. Design-wise, I think it's terribly cartoonish, and it loses the statement that the original car had, in being a tremendous contrast to the nuclear-powered hucksters driving it around. I totally get why it was done -- in that the marketing department had its paws all over Ghostbusters II from the very beginning -- and when I was a little kid, I thought it was awesome, but ... it's really just a toy.
Yeah, when I was six years old, I thought it was an amazing movie about these guys with awesome backpacks. But go and re-watch the movie again. The jokes are flying as often as every ten - fifteen seconds at some points.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote