View Single Post
Old October 18 2012, 11:56 PM   #73
Christopher
Writer

Re: Think We'll Ever See A Trek Series Longer Than 7 seasons?

T'Girl wrote: View Post
I was watching an old documentary resently on how Robert Ballard found the RMS Titanic, the research ship wasn't being operated by military personnel or government employees. The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is a private, nonprofit research and higher education facility.

Having the next Star Trek series starship operated by a similar organization would be one possibility.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Dream wrote: View Post
A Trek show about science teams would be boring.

People want action along with their exploration stories. Even the Enterprise fought the Borg between the times they did sensor sweeps.
So you're telling me that there has never, in the entire history of film and television, been an action-adventure series whose protagonists were not military? I think there's a wealth of evidence to the contrary. For instance, MacGyver. In the first season, MacGyver was an intelligence agent, but for the remaining six years of the series, he worked for the Phoenix Foundation, a nonprofit scientific/humanitarian organization. Yet he still got caught up in plenty of action. So, for that matter, did archaeologist Indiana Jones. The Doctor in Doctor Who is a scientist, and some of his traveling companions have been as well, and they get in trouble everywhere they go. Not to mention other starship-based shows whose crews, while not scientists, have not been military either, e.g. Farscape and Firefly.

And again, this is something that Star Trek itself has already done. Enterprise made it explicit that NX-01 was not a military vessel. They used a military-type rank structure, but Archer and his crew set out on a mission of pure exploration and science. After their first combat, they expressed the hope that it would never happen again. They left spacedock without a full weapons complement, because they didn't expect to need it. In "The Expanse" and "Home," it was stated explicitly that Earth Starfleet personnel considered "the military," in the form of the MACOs, to be a separate institution. Earth Starfleet may have had the same name as the Federation Starfleet, but it was a very different institution. So in a real sense, we've already seen a Star Trek series that was about a crew on a mission of pure research and exploration.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote