View Single Post
Old October 18 2012, 04:48 AM   #530
blssdwlf
Commodore

Re: TOS Enterprise WIP

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Gentlemen,
regarding the window issue in Kirk's (provisional) quarters on deck 12 in Mudd's Women, I'll have to ask that you put your video recording in and watch the first scene in Kirk's quarter before Mudd's Women enter (oddly enough, this important screencap is not part of the Trekcore collection!).

You can clearly see a multi-layered structure that resembles the structure of an airplane window and not of a wall shell or insert.
Of course we do not see stars through it, because such a VFX couldn't be produced, then, so the cameramen simply shot in an angle according to Matt Jefferies' credo "identification through association."
And there lies my difficulty. I do not see stars through it. It is also lit with a blue glow light from the top which is also inconsistent with the other two examples of windows into space ("The Conscience of the King" and "The Mark of Gideon") that simply show black space and stars. Even if it has a structure to (which is nice detail) it still doesn't lead to an outside view.

It's interesting to know the reasoning why something was filmed that way, but for the purposes of this project, it is the end product that counts

Given the angle of the walls these provisional quarters would indeed be in the engineering hull ("deck 12") and since Mudd's quarters have the exact same angle it is fair to assume that his quarters are also on deck 12 (guest quarters). My deck plans to illustrate these possibilities are ready soon, worked much better out than I had originally dared to imagine.
The only problem is that you can have only two quarters with exterior windows on deck 12, so Janice Rand's quarters are excluded but in her case they covered the windows with these panels.
Actually, there is another problem. Almost all of the scenes where the cabin is featured you can make out this same angled wall. The problem is that there is only one deck, somewhere below the flight deck, that can possibly support the angle of the wall for windows to line up to the exterior skin. That would make all the other cabin instances, such as those on deck 5, etc, have the exact same "insets" but are no longer called windows still present. Or that means that all cabins are in the engineering hull, below the flight deck. Again, that works against the idea that they are windows as other decks could not possibly use them because of the different exterior angles of different decks, IMO.

If I'm not mistaken, the only Season One shots showing the exterior of Kirk's quarters are all early on. One of the problems insisting that Kirk's quarters had always been on deck 5 is this:
I don't believe I've insisted Kirk's quarters being "always on Deck 5". IIRC, I've posted that I believe Kirk was on Deck 12 early on and moved to Deck 5. He may also have moved around on Deck 5 through the series.
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote