View Single Post
Old October 17 2012, 08:07 PM   #60
Christopher
Writer

Re: Think We'll Ever See A Trek Series Longer Than 7 seasons?

^All that is true, but let's remember what this part of the discussion was originally about. I think we've all drifted away from that, myself included. Temis brought up the model of American Horror Story, an approach where each season would basically start over with a different situation and cast of characters. You questioned that on the assumption that there would have to be a Starfleet captain and crew featured in every season and that if you were going to use the same character types every year, you might as well use the same characters. I was pointing out that you don't have to use the exact same crew composition every single year, that you're being very unimaginative in your assumptions about what a Star Trek story can be. If the format of the show were to do something different every season, then yes, it absolutely would be possible to create more variety than you're assuming, and we have plenty of examples -- including a canonical one, DS9 -- that prove you can have the basic, familiar elements but still inject a lot of variety. It absolutely would not have to be just the same job descriptions filled by different characters.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote