View Single Post
Old October 17 2012, 04:49 PM   #735
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Re: General Pro Wrestling News and Discussion Thread Part Deux!

Sheep wrote: View Post
Mr Silver wrote: View Post
I have a horrible feeling that WWE might put the title on Ryback.
Yup, this is Sheamus all over again. If this happens, it will will go a long way towards curing me of my WWE habit and freeing up Monday nights. I would have no problem with Punk losing the title if it was against pretty much anyone on the roster who's proven he can work anything beyond a squash match and has a personality more engaging than that of a neanderthal. Ryberg has done neither which makes his potentially winning the title a poison pill for me.
I definitely see where you are coming from and I think it's actually worse than Sheamus. When Sheamus captured the WWE Championship, it was during a time where the title was being passed back and forth between John Cena and Randy Orton. It was a breath of fresh air to see a completely new star capture the top title within a few months of debuting. (something that hadn't been done for years)

The problem was, Sheamus just didn't catch on as WWE Champion. Nobody could really buy it because he was limited to what WWE deemed acceptable where the other main eventers were concerned. What I'm getting at is, Sheamus wasn't afforded a "legitimate" victory when he won the title. The finish was made to look like Sheamus simply got lucky and that Cena lost his balance and went through the table. Contrast this with the last fast-rising in Brock Lesnar. Lesnar was afforded the booking to dominate upper mid-carders, such as Jeff Hardy, and go over mega stars such as Hulk Hogan, before having a highly competitive, but ultimately dominant contest vs. The Rock at Summerslam 2002 - in which he cleanly beat Rock for the title.

Ryback has spent months dominating nobodies. These performances are meaningless though, because he hasn't actually dominated any "big names". Sure he's beaten the likes of Jinder Mahal and Jack Swagger, but WWE has booked it so EVERYONE is expected to beat them. If Ryback were to manhandle somebody like Big Show, it would add so much more to his profile.

Per this booking, Ryback could win the WWE Championship, but nobody would really care, because he hasn't been booked as a real threat. Besides, even if he does continue dominating, sooner or later, he'll turn heel and find himself tapping like a madman to John Cena's no-pressure STF.

ETA: And what's with the nothing-more than a glorified Samoan drop as a finish? There doesn't appear to be anything stopping him using an actual muscle buster...
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote