View Single Post
Old October 17 2012, 03:03 PM   #36
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: exterior surface markings of Kirk's Enterprise

SonicRanger wrote: View Post
"The idea that the ion pod resides there dates back (at least) to 1978, published in StarFleet Assembly Manual Number 3:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...8&postcount=21

I dare say that consistency with a fan publication from 1978 shows a great familiarity with this issue and Trek publications."
Do you believe what you can actually see or do you rather believe what others tell you?

Admittedly, authors back in the 70's mostly had no VCRs or means to playback video, therefore I can understand that a few details escaped their attention (like that visible thingy sticking out from the Enterprise model in the NASM was a light bulb).

In the meantime there have been VHS tapes, LaserDiscs and DVDs to notice that it actually is a running light (e.g. "Galileo Seven", "Alternative Factor" etc.) and plenty of time to fix this erroneous mistake.

Familiarity with fan fiction does not equal familiarity with the original source materials (how I'd wish this were the case...)

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote