View Single Post
Old October 17 2012, 12:01 PM   #45
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile
Re: Speculation: Must the villain be Gary Mitchell, or... ?

BillJ wrote: View Post

I thought Orci had said the villain was a character we've seen from TOS?
AND

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure why everybody is so convinced that they're bringing back an old villain.
Because Bob Orci did say, ages ago, that at least one villain in the movie was to be a canonical TOS character. But, of course, that might not be Benedict Cumberbatch's character.
Umm... no.

IIRC, what Orci said was that a canonical Trek character... and a fan favorite at that... would appear in the film. He didn't even say for certain that this character would be a villain, though many of the articles that carried Orci's statements certainly interpreted it that way, and/or jumped to all sorts of unsupported conclusions.

Heck, I don't think he even specified that it was a character from TOS itself, but am pretty sure he referred to them simply as an established character that most Star Trek fans would recognize, and could have easily been referring to fans of the whole of the franchise, and not just TOS.

Moreover, he merely stated that the character in question would "appear in the film", and that statement is vague enough to cover a heck of a lot of ground, from an appearance that impacts the story in a significant or pivotal way, to little more than an "Easter Egg" that serves only to establish that this "fan favorite" still exists in the JJ Verse.

Personally, I'm betting on something along the lines of a humorous but insignificant cameo of Whoopie Goldberg in a silly flared hat, lasting only a few seconds, and featuring no more than a line or two of wise but witty dialogue.