View Single Post
Old October 17 2012, 04:40 AM   #17
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Re: Abandoned and damaged starships

Knight Templar wrote: View Post
I've said it before and I'll mention it again.

There is no evidence that the entire crew of the Excalibur was killed by M-5.

From the time Excalibur takes its final phaser hit (and what looks like a huge radiation flash occurrs) and the time M-5 says that there is "no life" (aboard Excalibur) aboard, there are several minutes. More than enough for surviving crew members to have abandoned ship.
On the contrary. There is decisive evidence that the entire crew of the Excalibur was killed by the M5. From http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/53.htm:

The Ultimate Computer wrote:
M5: This unit cannot murder.
KIRK: Why?
M5: Murder is contrary to the laws of man and God.
KIRK: But you have murdered. Scan the starship Excalibur, which you destroyed. Is there life aboard?
M5: No life.
KIRK: Because you murdered it. What is the penalty for murder?
M5: Death.
KIRK: And how will you pay for your acts of murder?
M5: This unit must die.
The super-genius M5 does not contest Kirk's assertion that it was responsible for killing all life aboard the Excalibur. Given the performance of the M5, in its use of sensors and tracking starships, I find it absurd to assume that Kirk could dupe or fool it with a false assertion that it could so easily contradict with sensors, which for example would have recorded the evacuation of the ship, if that had occurred. The M5 accepts Kirk's assertion that it killed all life aboard the Excalibur, because it knows that it did in fact kill all life aboard the Excalibur.