View Single Post
Old October 17 2012, 12:01 AM   #330
SG-17
Commodore

Re: The Revolution pilot is online now...

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Yep, they were right on that count (even asthma would be tricky). Not only the people relying on meds, but very few people over, say, early 50s would have had much shot surviving the early die-off as well. Something like 15-40 would have been the sweet spot, and mostly in the middle of that curve. Add 15 years, and that should be the age of your population.

We should be seeing very few kids in the 15-20 old range right now. You'd have a few families here and there that made it, but it would be extremely difficult for young children to survive at that point. And they'd be an additional drain on the parents (extra food/supplies, having to carry them, having them cry at inopportune moments when hiding, etc), so it's likely either the child just wouldn't make it, or would eventually cause the whole family to die off. Having them forgo food to feed the child leaving them weaker when an attack comes, giving away position, tired from carrying them, diseases that the adults are innoculated against that the kids never got shots for, risky foraging mission to try and get them medicine, etc.

Not impossible, just think there'd be a couple of obviously-missing age bands at the start of this new world. And then there'd start being children in the 0-12 or so range as people started to settle in again, although in smaller numbers at first, so you'd expect that any children you see on this show would be quite young.
That isn't how it works though. The reason that statistical lifespans were low before modern medicine was because of the high rate of infant mortality and childhood diseases.

If you lived to be 30 you were expected to live into your 70s.

Now take into account that Smallpox and Polio have been wiped out.

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Spooky Cat wrote: View Post
Franklinstein wrote: View Post
And I would bet that a government like the USA probably has all kinds of contingency plans for a widespread and lasting blackout to ensure the preservation of the core government and strategic places to retain control over.
I'm sure they do. Want to venture they are the ones controlling the mountain/west coast?
If remnants of the U.S. government are still in power in that region, they aren't doing so under the name "United States of America." As Nora said, the rebels in the Monroe Republic are fighting to overthrow Monroe and to re-establish the U.S.

As the map I linked to in my previous post shows, the areas of the country west of the Monroe Republic are controlled either by a California Commonwealth, a Plains Nation, a Texas, or comprise a region simply called the Wasteland.
I'd expect any US remnant to be based in Hawaii.

The Wasteland (Fallout: New Vegas reference?) on that map is composed of the Sonora and Mojave Deserts and the Rocky Mountains. Areas unlikely to be heavily settled without electricity. Maybe there is some Mormon settlement there that none of the other Republics want to have anything to do with?

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote