View Single Post
Old October 16 2012, 10:43 PM   #4449
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Bamarren wrote: View Post
I read in a couple of euro papers some ex players and managers in Germany were claiming they thought he wasnt hard enough on the players to get the most out of them. Thought that was an odd thing to do, since every manager has their own way.
There has been quite a lot of outspoken and even harsh criticism since the game against Italy, basically. The first qualifier games weren't great, either, although they won. I don't know. I think it's whining on a very high level. I mean, which manager who's available would really do a better job?

Maybe this draw tonight, and Spains are just what both teams need to make them take some games more seriously.
This problem with the weak defense and the showing of nerves after getting goals has been there for years, since 2010 at least. We have a great offense but our defense isn't that great. We always get at least one goal which means we have to score at least two goals of our own to win, and against teams like Spain or Italy that's very difficult or impossible. That's why we'll never win a title - unless we get really lucky. But that's just what the team is like. Lw has tried to make them play more defensively and that didn't work, either. Actually, that was worse.

Think Germanys issue may also be people expected them to walk 2012/2014 tournaments without looking at other sides, nothing like 4 years of pressure on you.
There's always enormous pressure here on the team and the manager/trainer. We expect them to win titles. It's a bit ridiculous but that's the way it is.