View Single Post
Old October 16 2012, 05:42 AM   #49
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: Interesting blog on younger people not connecting with older movie

My Son the Vampire wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
. . . There's some really good period drama out there, Gosford Park being one that really impressed me recently in terms of accuracy and feel of its portrayal, but I feel one of the worst offenses is when period dramas use more modern language, including modern swears.
Hmmm . . . can you give any specific examples?

I don't know about cursing, but I cringe when I'm watching a drama that takes place in the 1960s and I hear anachronisms like "lifestyle."

Don't have any examples off-hand, but I've encountered quite a few and it really stands out when it happens. Well, actually, Copper is a good example. I love the look of the show and I think they've done a great job on the sets, making us feel like we're watching something Victorian, but they really seem liberal in the use of the F-word and anything related to it and it feels out of place. I don't think anyone in that era would have been so liberal in its usage, but then again, I'm not from the era, so who knows? It feels like a case of our culture and language being supplanted into the past.

I've watched a lot of period dramas, and they're among my favourite types of shows to watch, and another place I've noticed it a lot is in medieval stuff. I can't help but notice it, and surely I'm not the only one?
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote