View Single Post
Old October 16 2012, 05:25 AM   #78
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: TNG Characters in the JJ-Verse

UFO wrote: View Post
A "point" that doesn't need making because nothing I said indicated otherwise.
Well, that's a relief.

UFO wrote:
I will say that your "point" is however misleading because Orci is obviously trying belatedly and unsuccessfully to make it appear the multiverse somehow makes it almost inevitable that the events of the movie would come about.
That didn't last long.

UFO wrote:
So from a pedantic point of view he is not saying 100% probability, just very likely. By all means make whatever technical point you can out of that distinction.
It's possible you may be misinterpreting what is meant by "very high"; after all, he doesn't give a number.

UFO wrote:
Once things get too ridiculous many resort to superstitious explanations.
Good for them.

UFO wrote:
The film, as I explained, appears to be no exception, whatever the writers may have intended.
As I explained, if the film depicts something that is possible, there is no need for superstitious explanation. You may see the film as "ridiculous", but you don't speak for everyone. Also, dodging writer intent isn't really going to do anything for your argument.

UFO wrote:
But that's not how it came across in the film
Hardly. The film said nothing about "Pantheism". You seem to be projecting an interpretation onto it. What I saw in the film was Spock Prime trying to make something happen because he thought it was a good idea. No magic, fantasy, or superstition required.

UFO wrote:
The phrase I referred to comes from the movie
No, it doesn't.