View Single Post
Old October 16 2012, 01:00 AM   #46
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: Interesting blog on younger people not connecting with older movie

My Son the Vampire wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
I have to admit I didn't think much of The Sound of Music when I was a kid either. It was just this corny black and white movie my parents used to love. And musicals in general seemed silly as hell to me.
The Sound of Music was in color.

Actually, although I like musicals in general, that's the one Rodgers and Hammerstein show I've never enjoyed. Just too much treacle for my taste.

Why are so many younger people turned off my musical films nowadays? Sorry, I just don't buy the excuse that it isn't "realistic" for characters to break into song and dance in the middle of a scene. Movies aren't reality to begin with. Old-school Hollywood musicals are no more or less realistic than modern action flicks with their speed-ramping and physically impossible stunts, or computer-animated fare from Disney and Pixar, or fantasy adventures like LOTR or POTC. There must be something else going on here. Could it be that musicals are too -- dare I say it -- GAY?
No, I suspect that they just think the whole thing is ridiculous as a live action film, which it is. It's more of a theatrical thing.