View Single Post
Old October 15 2012, 11:11 PM   #40
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Re: Interesting blog on younger people not connecting with older movie

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Sadly, the author of that piece made one worthwhile observation, failed to understand it himself, and then carried on pointlessly for many paragraphs:

it made me painfully aware that for a good many people, movies aren’t art or experience, they’re product. And products date.
It's not the fault of the audience at all. Popular culture simply does date, because it is product. People who are defensive on the part of popular culture proclaim it as somehow equal to or better than art of real nuance and ambition, and then get bent out of shape when fashion moves on to the next thing.

Well, guess what - people only liked the thing to begin with because it so exemplified the fashions and superficial concerns/attractions of that moment.

Even people who want to own a 1964 1/2 Mustang like the one in Goldfinger wouldn't drive it every day - it was not designed as "timeless transportation" if such a thing were possible; it was a product appropriate to its moment.

Successful product is not the same thing as valuable art.

People laugh at old James Bond movies because the producers didn't try - or didn't try hard enough - to make them really good. So, they aren't truly enduring.

End of story.

Well said. I only have one thing to add to that, and it's the fact that, there are certain times when period dramas made in the present can often look the part, but don't always hit the mark in terms of how they feel, even though many productions try their damnedest to be accurate, and I think that's due to the perceptions we have now vs how things really were, and we can't fully encapsulate how it really was due to not being part of the era that's been recreated. I don't think we can ever be truly accurate in that respect. Hope I'm making sense on that.
Yes, that makes perfect sense. It's called presentism; applying present day attitudes and culture to past events, whether intentional or unintentional. In fact some would argue that it's impossible to avoid presentism.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote