View Single Post
Old October 15 2012, 05:30 AM   #28
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: Interesting blog on younger people not connecting with older movie

the G-man wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I think the frame of reference has changed. I grew up in the 70s and most of what I watched in reruns and so on was culled mostly from the 50s to 70s, occasionally dipping into the 40s or 30s. Extrapolating, that means a kid today is going to see programming from the 90s or later, occasionnally dipping into the 80s or 70s. Earlier stuff is going to be from the stone age.

And with all that material produced today plus DVD/Netflix and video games, internet, etc. they might not even need to go back that far. It's probably harder to appreciate black and white stuff when there's maybe four channels on TV to even see it.

Yep, exactly. It's the frame of reference that has shifted...
Also, and this is just a shot in the dark, but there are so many things that have changed since advent of the computer age that "our" kids don't relate.

For example, even a show as "recent" as Seinfeld now seems dated at times because of plots that hinge on things that wouldn't happen in the cell phone era.

Yeah, good point. It's what I touched on. I think we have it good in this day and age, and technology has really spoiled us, to the point that for younger people, anything they didn't have access to is so alien to them. The advent of technology has really progressed at an astonishing pace, and not always for the better. It kind of makes it harder for younger people to appreciate what the world was like before all those things. It also doesn't help that many people lack attention these days. Everybody is so urgent these days, always on the go. Anyway, I'm rambling, but the point is that with the pace of culture, it sometimes makes it difficult to for younger generations to enjoy what's been made in the past, because it might be difficult for them to grasp certain concepts that they're not familiar with.

My parents often make comments about movie stars from their era, which lead to movies that those stars have been in, movies that I'm mostly not interested in seeing because they don't mean anything to me like they mean to my parents, and I think everyone can relate to that in some way or another. It's just a different culture.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; October 15 2012 at 05:42 AM.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote