View Single Post
Old October 14 2012, 09:31 PM   #16
J.T.B.
Commodore

Re: Interesting blog on younger people not connecting with older movie

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
I think that's pretty much true that the same viewers from 1988 may have the same opinion on Singing in the Rain today. But, if people of that same age group that you were in in 1988 (let's say, early twenties) were to watch it today for the first time, I don't think they would find it as ridiculous.
I don't quite follow, do you mean if a person saw it for the first time today in their 40s or their 20s?

I think this has a lot to do with the relatively young age of the movie industry. How "old" those movies were seemed irrelevant at the time because even the oldest movies weren't really THAT old.
There's probably something to that, but OTOH there was a huge difference in appearance, sound, style, tone and practically everything else between, say, Top Hat from the mid-'30s and The Professionals from the mid-'60s (both of which I remember watching on TV within a relatively short span). In a lot of ways, a 30 year old movie then (say a late '40s movie in the late '70s) seemed more "distant" in time than a 30 year old movie now.

Not to say that you are ancient,
It's OK, I have a kid in high school, I know I'm old!

Justin
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote