View Single Post
Old October 13 2012, 11:09 AM   #131
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Is Wrath of Khan Overrated

I posted these quotes in another thread to compare negative reactions between STII and STXI, but I thought it might interest some here as well.

From "Indiana Skywalker Meets the Son of Star Trek" in Best of Trek #7, not long after The Wrath of Khan hit cinemas:

Wrath of Khan, on the other hand, is a shoot-'em-up in the style of Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark - very thrilling the first time you see it, but not much left for a second viewing...

...by the time of Wrath of Khan, the Federation appears to have been overwhelmed and drastically altered by some cataclysm - possibly revolution...

...the Enterprise has become, for all intents and purposes, a battleship...

...a wife and child, of course, who are promptly produced (out of thin air), providing [Kirk] with new (and boring) preoccupations...

...For the first time, Nimoy has been miscast as Spock...

...the Star Trek figures, as scripted, are unrecognizable...

...the conclusion is inevitable; No respect for the characters as characters was operating here. If, in the overall interests of a flashy production, the heroes had to be undignified, so be it.

I think it's safe to say that STII didn't exactly have universal acclaim amongst Trekkies back then, either.