View Single Post
Old October 13 2012, 06:17 AM   #15
Jono
Rear Admiral

Re: What if they'd kept T'Rul?

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
At the very least it would have been nice if there was some explanation as to what happened to her and why the Romulans didn't care about monitoring their cloak.
Agreed. This made no sense. Every time the defiant use their cloak, It reminds me of this and I think "Why are the romulans cool with them having a cloak unsupervised again?.. oh yeah, no explanation."

It just seems weird that they wouldn't want to keep it supervised. With the cloak in starfleet's posession they could easily just dissect the thing and figure out new weaknesses in it, and how to exploit those weaknesses to gain an advantage on the romulans. I end up rationalizing it in my head as "The romulans gave them a shitty 20 year old out of date model of their cloak, so they dont care" but i don't even really buy that.
I go with that T'Rul's debriefing by her superiors would have gone a long way towards the plan to destroy the wormhole. Why risk someone with a high level of technical skill on DS9 when it is on the "make explode" list of things to do? Plus once the wormhole was gone they can recall the cloaking device and the Federation is more than likely to comply with that. In the end they got found out and the Federation and maybe the Feds used that leverage to keep the Romulans at arms length from their cloaking device.

The type of cloaking device on the Defiant might be compromised enough to limit the Defiant's danger to the Star Empire. As we saw in "Defiant" Sisko had info on the antiproton beam the Jem'Hadar used in "The Search" and gave it to the Cardassians, so it would be reasonable to assume the Romulans also have that data, which they might have decided is enough to prevent the Defiant from being a serious risk to them.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote