View Single Post
Old October 12 2012, 09:07 PM   #20
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: Is the Data character more human than he's given credit for?

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
sonak's transporter ghost wrote: View Post
Mr_Homn wrote: View Post

Antisocial Personality Disorder is a disorder in which little to no emotion is present in a person. It doesn't mean you aren't self aware or not sentient.

You are misinformed as to what Antisocial Personality Disorder is.
Indeed! From what I've read there is certainly a limited emotional spectrum in someone with APD, though. It has more to do with a lack of empathy than anything else.

I still think one can hypothetically lack emotion and still be self aware and sentient. I'd bet there has been at least one case in human history. I think if the right parts of the brain were screwed up it could happen.

I agree one could certainly be self-aware and sentient while lacking in SOME emotions(empathy, to use your example) but I don't see how one could lack ALL emotions and still function. Again, things like your basic desires and preferences in things like "what do I feel like eating for breakfast today?" would be gone. How does Data decide what to do in his off-time for example?

Wasn't it David Hume who said that the intellect is servant to the passions? I agree with David.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote