View Single Post
Old October 12 2012, 04:47 PM   #1528
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

One thing I did like about Enterprise was that they were a bit more imaginative with the angles on the spaceship shots. I suppose the move to entirely using CG models freed up the VFX artists in that regard.

In the Cards (****)

The galaxy finds itself hurtling towards a cliff: the greatest war civilization has ever known seems to be just weeks away, the crew is demoralised and crime is on the rise. Time for a screwball comedy about a baseball card and a magic chamber that entertains your cells. It shouldn't work, it doesn't seem like an episode like this belongs at this point in DS9's main arc, on the surface it is out of place. But that's the very reason why this episode works so well for me, this episode is more than just the sum of its parts, it's a gentle prologue to a much larger and more serious tale. These characters are about to experience two years or war, morally questionable decisions, and loss. This is their last hurrah before all that messiness, this is that final breath of air you take before diving down under the water. Yes, there's plenty of fluff to come in the next two seasons, but even still it is going to be a long time before these characters can relax.

Unlike so many DS9 comedies, In the Cards doesn't go for a high concept story, it's a simple tale about two friends working with a crazy person in order to obtain a baseball card. There's no time travel, there's no sex changes, the fate of civilisation as we know it isn't at stake, it's a fairly standard comic plot that relies on the characters and their interactions to make it work. It's not the funniest episode of Trek, but it's enjoyable and left with a smile on my face. I love these characters above all else on the show, and this episode uses its cast well. This is a community of people that have grown very fond of one another, it's good to be reminded of that before they get torn apart for an extended period.