View Single Post
Old October 12 2012, 04:31 PM   #203
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: What SF/F Book Are you Reading? .. Redux

Been meaning to post here for a while… since last report I’ve read Existence by David Brin, which I really enjoyed. It’s an interesting homage to Stand on Zanzibar in some ways, some overt and some not, which I wouldn’t have known about if I hadn’t just read the other… I’ve not seen the connection made elsewhere but it’s pretty obvious. I know there’s some unhappiness here w/Brin’s style but I liked it in this case. A very thought-provoking book on many levels, from its take on autism to the Fermi Paradox.

I also undertook a delightful excursion to the past [and the future] and re-read Julian May’s Saga of Pliocene Exile for the first time in over 15 years. It’s still one of the most stunning sf epics ever written IMHO, setting the standard for how to do a big work like that. I’m going to re-read Intervention and the Galactic Milieu trilogy also soon. It’s too bad we probably won’t see any more from May [she’s 81 and hasn’t published anything in a long time ] because she never disappoints as far as I’m concerned.

And I just finished Fate of Worlds by Niven and Lerner, which is the wrapup to both the Fleet of Worlds and the Ringworld sagas… I thought it was excellent too, and it was cool to see both Ausfaller and Louis Wu in the same book again. It leaves both series in an interesting place.

On to a little mental floss, the latest 2 books in Turtkledove’s The War that Came Early series about WWII starting in 1938 instead of 1939.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote