View Single Post
Old October 11 2012, 02:46 PM   #215
Robert Maxwell
Original Recipe

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Envisioning the world of 2100

RAMA wrote: View Post
Ghostavo Fring wrote: View Post
I can't speak for STR, but I expect energy and resource crises to put the brakes on this "exponential growth" idea. What we are doing is simply not sustainable, and any notion that we will reach the Singularity in time to avoid the effects of such shortages is little more than fantasy.

Actually I've posted on this before, there are no energy shortages, never will be, resources abound in this solar system...dire prediction never take variables of future development into account and are therefore generally useless, other than to spur motivated, active individuals to work on it, and plenty of organizations are doing what gov'ts are slow to.

RAMA
That is a fantasy.

It is not economically viable to harvest resources from beyond Earth. Not now, and probably not for a long while. We still have a lot of resources to exploit here on Earth. But I notice you said resources, not energy. Those are not the same thing. The fact is, fossil fuels are a limited energy resource, and we are using them up. The alternatives we have aren't that great. They are getting better, but it's clear that the energy advantages we got from fossil fuels are going to vanish once those are used up. And there are some that we may not fully use up because to do so would be environmentally destructive. There are already emerging problems with hydraulic fracturing, and while the US has tremendous amounts of coal, coal mining is still a very dirty and dangerous business--not to mention the fact that we blow up mountains to get at it.

Your attitude is really the whole problem. "Don't worry, somebody will find a solution in time." Unless they don't.