View Single Post
Old October 11 2012, 04:07 AM   #516
blssdwlf
Commodore

Re: TOS Enterprise WIP

Thanks for the recap! I'll try to answer some of your comments but please bear in mind that its a work-in-progress

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
As for the size of the impulse engines I absolutely concur, especially given events in “Tomorrow Is Yesterday”. However, the spherical reactors (TNG style) can easily be confused with the antimatter container down below. The antimatter pods in the renowned Kimble cutaway of the TMP Enterprise were different, correct?
That's only if we're comparing the spherical AM container to TNG reactors drawn on an MSD (do we ever see an actual spherical reactor other than Defiant's ?). We do have an excellent example of a spherical AM container as seen in "Obsession" in TOS which is where I got the idea from.

As for the ‘cathedral’ it is obvious that the limitations of budget and available soundstage space during production led to the forced perspective (by Matt Jefferies own admittance), this was a compromise. But now that there is a chance to reveal the cathedral length as it was always meant to be, we are nevertheless stuck with the forced perspective despite a considerable distance to fill between the engine control room and the impulse exhaust at the stern?
You're welcome to try fitting it in. The problem is the size and length of a "non-forced perspective" cathedral structure precludes easy fitment into the primary hull with the undercut AND the 2 story tall engine room. The other problem (and it's more for me because of my "Thermian" approach to this project) is that there are simply too many scenes where we see the cathedral from angles that make it impossible for me to assume it is a force-perspective. Unlike TMP where they filmed the forced perspective engine section, they never really broke that illusion. TOS, OTOH did so for this project the cathedral will remain as seen from all the angles that it was seen at.

There’s this one proposal from Mytran in post # 56 that absolutely made a lot of sense to me http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=119751&page=4
I liked it too but ran into a problem testing it. See post 58.

A very important discovery (thanks!) was the different height of the engine rooms in S1 in contrast to the one of S2. Again, I can only suggest to look at this set from the actual production point of view.
When they finally constructed the bigger “engineering section” for S2 (located in the engineering hull) the old set had to go. In “Omega Glory” it looks like they tried to keep the illusion of two and different engine rooms by having Kirk in one with lights off and then showing an empty one in full illumination.
I'm following that same idea by having at least two engine rooms that are fairly identical or having some minor differences. At least one in the primary hull and one in the engineering hull. I do look at Enterprise as a ship that was constantly being tinkered with and having minor refits to account for the newer engine rooms, the faster speeds, the feminine computer in TMIY, etc.

But regarding S1 I have seen a couple of unmistakable circular corridors in the engineering hull (decks 12 and 14) and I expect to see more of these while I’m working myself through the episodes – in the WIP plans I’m unable to locate any of these.
I assume you are referring to "Mudd's Women", "Enemy Within" and "Dagger of the Mind" for decks 12 and 14? IIRC, we never saw enough of the hallways to say they were circular. Curved, yes. I'll have to re-watch them again. FWIW, I simply loosened the curve on the hallways in the engineering hull but kept the overall length and widths.

The only practical solution to this riddle seems either to make the ship bigger or the corridors (in engineering hull) tighter.
I am tempted to make the ship larger. But the only way I'll do that is if the flight deck requires a larger ship (and all signs point to Yes) as it is the only thing that has a direct connection to the exterior of the ship.

Again, I have to argue with the practical production approach: Did the producers really intend to confine the actual circular corridor studio exclusively to decks 5, 6 and 7? The audience has never been on a starship and all they become aware of is a circular corridor but they couldn’t be sure whether it’s in the outer areas of the saucer or wrapped around the yellow bottom circle of the engineering hull (a good excuse to have any kind of circular corridor in a structure like the engineering hull).
Or the producers were clever enough to hide the circular corridor's "circleness" through camera cuts and tight shots of the hallway. I don't have too big a problem of making the circular hallway tighter near the center of the primary hull and less tight as the circle gets closer to the rim. Nor do I have a problem making the curved hallway less tight for the engineering hull to give it a slightly curved look unless it was obvious in the camera shot.

As it seems to me, the current WIP layout for the engineering hull has little space left to accomodate these corridors, but the inevitable question has to be, whether the (conjectural) engineering components have to be that large?
My approach is to fit the big rooms in first and see what space is left. I'd like to think that there was fantastical equipment hidden behind radiation plating and walls that we just were not privy to. I remember when I first saw TMP's engine room and thought, wow, that's big spanning multiple decks. What would the more "primitive" TOS engine look like?

Where to place the gym / multipurpose room? Could it be at the back of the ‘teardrop’? The reconstruction approach seems to have curved angles that would nicely allign with the outer hull of the teardrop (and to the poster who claimed that Pike’s quarters didn’t match any exteriors, I believe he forgot the teardrop and its single windows).
The phaser control room, on the other hand, is quite a bitch. The angled in walls of this engine room redress could suggest this to be in the center of a circular deck and given the phaser cooling mechanism probably in close proximity to the lowest part of the saucer hull.
I think you're recognizing some of the fun challenges I have on this project The other thing that I have to consider are the connecting hallways as seen in the episode when placing the rooms. It's a fun challenge to place the rooms in such a way that the hallways can still connect somewhere.
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote